The Tourlitis Lighthouse is the only Greek lighthouse to be built entirely by Greek hands, and also the nation’s only wave-swept rock sentinel, exposed to the brunt of heavy seas. This is the first automatic lighthouse of the Greek lighthousing system, as the lighthouse keeper doesn't actually reside there.
The first lighthouse here was built in 1897. After that was destroyed in the Second World War, a simple scaffold tower was erected on Tourlitis. The present lighthouse is a replica of the original, and was built in 1990s at the expenses of Alexandros Goulandris, an oil tycoon of Andros island. Goulandris and his wife dedicated the lighthouse in memory of their deceased daughter Violanda.