The top of the rock consists of a small fenced in area with stalls for buying souvenirs, and a viewing platform. Food vendors have laid out outdoor tables where you can enjoy snacks with a bottle of beer taking in the outstanding vista that stretch to the horizon in every direction.
The rock is located near the border of two towns - Guatapé and El Peñol. Both towns claimed ownership of the rock. Once, the residents of Guatapé decided to settle the matter by painting the town's name on the rock in huge white letters. It did not take long for the residents of El Peñol to notice the work, and a large mob was gathered to stop it. Only the "G" and part of the "U" were completed. The two giant letters can still be seen on the northern face of the stone.
The rock was first scaled officially on July 1954 by three climbers using sticks embedded in the fissure on the rock. The staircase was built later.
Viewing platform and stalls at the top of the rock.
View of the Guatape lake from the top